Happy Monday! Have you been in the granola bar/energy bar aisle of the grocery store lately? I seriously spent 30 minutes in one aisle reading the ingredient labels trying to find a healthy Paleo granola bar without preservatives and most importantly all of the added sugar! Ahhh! I am not too proud to admit that having prepackaged granola bars that I can eat on the run is something I rely on for those super busy days that I can’t sit down and make a healthy snack.
But all of these sugary granola bar options are overwhelming…
What gives guys?
So this is why I am bringing you a healthy chocolate chip granola bar recipe to add to your meal prep! No added sugar, just cacao nibs or dark chocolate. The dates give this recipe the natural sweetness that you crave without artificial icky-ness. Not to mention that dates have so many health benefits: lots of minerals and vitamins, digestion benefits, even bone strength and cholesterol benefits.
Plus this recipe includes flaxseed and chia which are the hot new ingredients in all the grocery store options. The chia and flaxseed will give you that sustained boost of energy without tanking your blood sugar later.
These granola bars have been my solution to the overwhelming grocery aisle. I am saving money and time spent reading labels in the store.
Best of all…
I have the confidence of feeding my body with real food, and real ingredients all from my kitchen.
What you will need for your Paleo Granola Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- 1/2 cup of raw almonds
- 10 large medjool dates
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup of cacao nibs (or dark chocolate 60% or darker!)
- pinch of seasalt
How to prep your Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Grab your dates and soak in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- While your dates are soaking, throw the cashews and almonds in a food processor, process for a few pulses until roughly chopped.
- Throw nuts in large mixing bowl
- Drain and remove pits from dates.
- Place dates in food processors and pulse until they reach a creamy smooth consistency.
- Mix the date paste, nut mixture, coconut flakes, vanilla extract, chia seeds, flaxseed, cacao nibs, and sea salt until fully combined.
- Line a medium sized bread loaf (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″) with parchment paper
- Using your hands, press mixture into the bottoms on the loaf, distributing evenly.
- Place in refrigerator for an hour
- Cut and serve!
Meal Prep Tip- Store in air tight container. I usually just seal mine individually in sandwich sized ziplock bags and make sure I have all of the air pressed out. I keep them in the fridge until I need them. Before I start my day, I just throw my granola bar in my bag! Easy enough. No need for an extra container. I can eat it in the car when I am running around knocking out my to-do list.
Thank goodness for healthy car snacks on busy days. Seriously.
Share this recipe with someone you know that lives off of those prepackaged granola bars! It will change their world! I hope you enjoy this recipe guys, I know it is one of my favorites! Leave me a comment below!