Good Morning LOVElies!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Hands down. I am a frequent advocate for “Brinner”… you know breakfast for dinner? Well, it is a thing in my house. We are usually so busy in the morning that I miss out on my favorite wholesome eggy, protein packed breakfasts. That was until I perfected my breakfast meal prep and discovered how to make these delicious scrambled egg muffins. They are packed with veggies and flavor.
For some reason every summer I end up with an obnoxious amount of peppers, zucchini, and basil which is why this has become my go to recipe in the warmer months, but you can substitute the veggies for whatever you have available at the moment. Anything that you could see yourself throwing into your scrambled eggs is completely fair game! These are a little Italian inspired, so sometimes I like to add some Italian sausage for extra protein..
I’ve also subbed cilantro and some pepper for the basil and the Italian seasoning to make this recipe a little more Mexican inspired.. and of course served with salsa.
Am I getting those creative juices flowing?
Here is what I do for meal prep:
I usually make these on Sunday and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge throughout the week. They will keep for about 4 days, which should almost get you through your week. If you want to make these last even longer… double the batch and individually wrap them and store in your freezer (they can easily be thawed and heated in your microwave).
Easy enough, am I right?
Dive on in guys and enjoy these healthy and simple scrambled egg muffins!
Ingredients for your Scrambled Egg Muffins
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 of zucchini shredded
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 large free range eggs
- 2 cups of arugula finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Instructions to prep your Healthy Scrambled Egg Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375 and coat a muffin tin with non stick spray
- In a large skillet, coat with olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion becomes translucent and garlic becomes fragrant (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add bell pepper and zucchini to skillet. Saute altogether for another 2-3 minutes. Add extra olive oil if needed to prevent sticking
- Fill each muffin tin about 2/3 of the way full with the veggie mixture. Set aside
- In a large separate bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Stir in arugula, cheese, basil, and Italian seasoning.
- Salt and pepper the egg mixture
- Carefully pour the egg mixture evenly into each muffin tin, on top of the saute veggies.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the eggs have slightly risen and begun to brown.
- Let cool…. enjoy 🙂
I’m always looking for fun new variations of this recipe. Let me know what veggies you threw into this recipe! Broccoli? Tomatoes? Share this recipe on Facebook and shoot me a comment below! I can’t wait to hear from you!