Hello LOVElies! It’s a wintery white snowy day in Virginia. As a Floridian, I survived driving in the snow today hahha. I think I’ll be okay living here.
Well, for dinner tonight: Spicy and Creamy Shrimp!
What you need:
- 1 pound extra large shrimp (16- to 20-count), peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- pinch of Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon green onions
What to do:
In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet that is already hot. Add the shrimp and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until just barely cooked through. With tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp to a clean plate and set aside.
Add the onions and garlic to the skillet in which the shrimp were cooked, and sauté, stirring, until the onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, coconut milk, and then reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly.
Add the shrimp (and any accumulated shrimp juices) and the basil to the skillet and stir to blend all the flavors together. Remove the shrimp from the heat and serve at once.
Variations: While this recipe calls for shrimp, you could easily use scallops, chicken or pretty much any other protein of your choosing.