Hi LOVElies! Guys my recipe today combines my two favorite things… Chicken Enchiladas + No Dirty Dishes. I know, I know… but it has been such a long week! Doesn’t a girl deserve the right to a delicious dinner without the hard work? I think so!
This recipe has been in my house FOREVER and I can’t believe I haven’t shared it yet! Here it is my famous freezer enchiladas… Ok so they aren’t famous but they are about to be!
So I actually only freeze the chicken and the sauce ahead of time. I tried to freeze fully assembled enchiladas but there is just something about the chicken and tortillas frozen together usually ends up as a mushy disaster. (I told you I have perfected this recipe!)
We make the sauce and chicken ahead of time, store it in freezer bags and then simply put them in the fridge to thaw the day that you are planning to eat them.
When you get home for dinner, all you have to do is assemble, bake, and enjoy.
Plus your only dirty dish is the actual baking dish!
What you need for your Freezer Enchiladas-
- 2 Gallon Freezer Bags
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional* for those readers who prefer a little kick!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 cups of chicken, shredded
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime
How to prepare your Chicken Freezer Enchiladas for the freezer-
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and olive oil until the onions become translucent and the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add to the pan the chili powder, ground cumin, brown sugar, and a pinch of red pepper flakes (for those of you who like your enchiladas spicy!)
- Add in tomato sauce and chicken stock. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Let Cool Completely
- Take your two freezer bags and scoop approx. 1 cup of the enchilada sauce into one bag.
- In the remaining bag mix together the shredded chicken and remaining enchilada sauce.
- Freeze both bags until ready to assemble.
How to assemble your Chicken Enchiladas for dinner:
- Let the two bags (the chicken mixture and straight enchilada sauce) thaw.
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce in the base of a glass cooking dish (approx. 1/2 cup) to coat the bottom.
- Take one tortilla, fill with a 1/4 cup shredded chicken mixture, about a tablespoon of cheese, a pinch of cilantro and a squirt of lime. Roll and place in baking dish, seam side down.
- Repeat with each tortilla.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over the top of the baking dish and rolled tortillas.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and cilantro
- Cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes. (If your chicken is super cold you may need to increase your baking time!)
- Let set for 5-10 minutes
I hope these freezer enchiladas serve you well, especially on those crazy days where you need a little TLC. Tweet at me! Let me know how you like ’em!