Good Morning LOVElies!!!
I just love breakfast so I am excited to share a new casserole recipe with you guys!
Invite some friends over and treat yourself to an easy, healthy breakfast casserole.
I said EASY, and I promise.
It is hearty and filling enough to qualify as brunch in my opinion, and we all LOVE brunch!!! Break out the mimosas for this one! It is soooo filling and delicious, you won’t even realize you are eating a low-calorie breakfast.
YES! I like to make it the night before so I can just pop it in the oven in the morning. You can add any other veggies you may have in your fridge as well. I like to add a mixture of bell peppers to give it a kick!
Here is your easy healthy breakfast casserole recipe:
What you need
- 12 oz. of low-fat pork sausage
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups of skim milk (or the milk substitute of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices of firm, whole wheat bread, cubed
- 8 oz. (2 cups) of low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup of chopped red or green bell pepper (or BOTH!)
- Optional: 1/4 cup of chopped mushroom
Here is what to do:
- Cook the sausage, chopped onion, and minced garlic in a non-stick skillet. If you are adding bell pepper and mushrooms, add them here! The sausage should not be pink and the onions and peppers will be soft. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg whites and milk. Gently stir in the salt, pepper, mustard, bread cubes, and cheddar cheese. Finally, stir in that delicious sausage and vegetable mixture!
- Pour the final mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish. Don’t forget the non-stick spray!
- If you are making ahead of time, cover and refrigerate overnight. Just let the casserole sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before you pop it in the oven in the morning.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let your breakfast casserole sit for about 5 minutes to cool before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe should make about 12 servings. Yes, it will feed a small army! Sounds like an excuse to host friends and family to me! With the holidays quickly approaching, this would be an easy one to impress your guests.
Add a big bowl of fresh fruit and a pot of steaming hot coffee and you are good to go! So EASY! Your only concern will be whether or not there are leftovers for you to enjoy once your guests have left!
This recipe was so fun to make. Let me know how yours turned out in the comments below. I can’t wait to see what you guys did with it! YUMM! Give it a like or share it with your friends (maybe they will get the hint and invite you over!) Enjoy LOVElies! See you next time!!