This one goes out to all my LOVElies who are trying to reach their personal nutrition goals!
Is there anything better then creamy, warm mashed potatoes. I grew up on them and can’t even imagine a world without mashed potatoes.
Unfortunately all of that butter and cream isn’t exactly good for you so here is a crazy idea:
Substitute mashed potatoes with this delicious creamed cauliflower!
Well seasoned and creamed cauliflower will give you the same satisfaction as your childhood mashed potatoes, minus all the fats and carbs. This is the perfect side dish for all of your lean meats or fish!
Cauliflower, oh let us count the nutritional benefits. Cauliflower is not only lower carb than potatoes but is jam packed with nutrients.
Did you know that cauliflower has a huge amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin K? Not even to mention the folic acid, potassium and fiber you will be consuming. I know cauliflower is a pretty easy sell, but will it taste good? YES YES YES
Between the terrific flavors of garlic, onion and parsley, this will soon be your new favorite low carb side dish.
My personal favorite thing about this recipe is the Greek yogurt and honey. This is your cream and butter to your mashed potatoes guys!! That Greek yogurt is oh so creamy (AND oh so protein packed!) The honey may seem a little unconventional at first but I promise it will give this dish a nice buttery sweet finish without being overpowering!
What you need for your low carb cauliflower mash-
- 8 cups of cauliflower florets (usually about 2 heads of cauliflower)
- 1/2 a cup of diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
How to prepare your creamed cauliflower-
- Steam cauliflower florets until soft. Usually about 12 minutes.
- Set aside cauliflower to cool.
- In a skillet, add olive oil, garlic, and onion.
- Cook on medium to high heat, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent and fragrant
- Combine steamed and cooled cauliflower florets with the garlic and onion mixture in a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Transfer into a bowl and add Greek yogurt and honey and mix until creamy and smooth.
- Add fresh parsley and salt and pepper to taste
CALLING ALL VEGANS- If you are looking to make this creamed cauliflower vegan friendly, all you have to do is substitute the Greek yogurt. I would suggest a vegan creamed cheese if you are feeling decadent. Otherwise throw in some soy milk and whip until creamy!
If you like a little kick to your cooking throw in some red pepper flakes.
I hope this recipe becomes a tool for your healthy eating tool box. It is so easy to make and is the perfect dish paired with grilled veggies, and lean meats. See you don’t have to sacrifice all of your favorite foods, just get creative!
Share this recipe on Facebook and leave me a message about your healthy eating journey! Way to go!