Hi there LOVElies!
Happy Spring Everyone! Open the windows, get some fresh air and best of all, lets get some delicious crisp, salads on our menus! I do have a love for my soups and crockpot, but I am itching for a change and I bet you guys are too!
So I absolutely love Asian Cuisine. Love. Love. Love it. AND I am always on the hunt for healthy sides to serve with with my Asian main courses. Don’t get me wrong, I am ALWAYS down for a great bowl of noodles or sticky rice, ALWAYS. But to be honest, on days I don’t want the extra carbs, it can be difficult to find low carb, healthy options.
I have my rockstar Salmon ready to go.. but nothing to serve it on!!
Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the perfect supporting actor here… It is a cucumber carrot salad made with a light vinaigrette and topped with what else? Sesame Seeds!
The green onion, garlic, and sesame seeds make this simple little salad so delicious, AND the perfect pairing for your Asian inspired main dishes.
For this recipe you are going to want to make sure that you have a spiralizer. They are pretty inexpensive and will make your life soooooo much easier.. If you are in a bind you can slice your cucumbers and carrots, but the goal is to achieve that “noodle- like” shape!
Once you get the hang of it, you will be spiralizing all of your veggies into “noodles”!
I made my Hoison Carmelized Salmon and subbed this recipe for the soba noodles. For some reason, springtime, salmon, and a fresh salad are the perfect pairing! If you are looking for a nice chicken dish to make as your main course try my Sweet-n-Sticky Baked Chicken!
Ingredients for your Cucumber Carrot Sesame Seed Salad
- 2 Cucumbers
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 Green Onion
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- a dash of cracked black pepper and sea salt
- How to Prepare your Cucumber Carrot Salad
- With a spiralizer, cut up the cucumbers and carrots into thin, “noodle-like” strips.
- In a separate bowl prepare the dressing. Whisk together the white wine vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, garlic power, and salt & pepper.
- In a salad bowl mix together the carrots, cucumber and green onion.
- Pour over the dressing. Gently toss.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over top.
If you are feelin’ fancy or have someone to impress, you can arrange your “noodles” in the shape of birds nests. It turns out to be such a lovely presentation and it will leave your friends “Oo”ing and “Aw”ing over your culinary skills.
If you are like me, you will eat it straight from the salad bowl, because it is just so delicious.
Thanks guys for trying out this crazy little salad of mine. I hope you can use this one for many recipes to come! Share this recipe of Facebook, Twitter, or comment on how yours turned out below! I would LOVE to hear from you!