Good Morning LOVElies!I hope you are all doing well!
This morning let’s sit down and have an honest conversation about quinoa… I love it for its protein packed qualities but in regards to its natural taste… it could use a little help. That is why I am bringing you a curried quinoa recipe that is packed full of flavor!
I am in love with this curried quinoa bowl.
No more pretending to like healthy foods that aren’t actually delicious. This quinoa will win over any skeptic!
This recipe contained one of my favorite ingredients, TURMERIC!
You can buy it as a root in the produce section or in powdered form in the spice section. Turmeric is so great for inflammation of joints and has high antioxidant properties. It is so good and so good for you. Super spice right here!
I like to throw in some chicken to add even more protein to your meal! Keep scrolling past the recipe for this curried chicken quinoa variation. I even added a chickpea option if you are looking for a vegetarian variation.
Think of quinoa like a healthy rice, you can add veggies and meats to it so nicely!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe. These Indian spices are incredibly comforting on a nice cool winter evening. Grab that curry powder and let’s get started!
Curried Quinoa Bowl
What you will need:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup of yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, also chopped
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt the coconut oil over medium to high heat. Add the garlic cloves and cook until they start to golden (approx. 4 minutes).
- Drop the heat to medium and throw in your curry and turmeric. Stir in the spices for only about 60 seconds to bring out their flavor.
- Throw in the chopped onions. Stir and cook for about another 3 minutes. The onions will start to “sweat” and become slightly translucent.
- Add water, quinoa, bay leaf, honey, red pepper flakes and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed
- Fluff with a fork and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.
Curried Quinoa with Chicken
If you have leftover chicken from a previous recipe, don’t hesitate to reheat and just throw it in your bowl.
If you are cooking your chicken from scratch, heat up some extra coconut oil in a saute pan and use the curry, salt, pepper, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon to season.
You can shred or cube your chicken and throw it into your bowl! YUMMY
Curried Quinoa with Chickpeas
Throw in a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas to add a little extra texture and dimension to your bowl.
I would just add just a pinch more of your curry powder and salt and pepper since your chickpeas will want to absorb some of your quinoa’s seasonings. ENJOY.
Eat the quinoa plan, add chicken, chickpeas, or both! I had so much fun cooking this one (and even more fun eating it!) Let me know how you like your bowl! Feel free to comment below, and share this recipe on twitter! TWEET TWEET. Happy Eating LOVElies!