Hey there LOVElies!
So… I have to admit, blueberry muffins fresh out of the oven are my complete guilty pleasure.
Left unattended, I can devour more muffins than I would like to admit!
So this morning I am sharing a lovely little dairy free blueberry muffin recipe made with coconut flour and without milk. That’s right, no milk, DAIRY FREE!
I like to think it makes my guilty pleasure a little less guilty since it fits into a paleo diet and cuts down on those carbs! The coconut flour also makes this recipe gluten free if any of you LOVElies are living the gluten free life.
If you want to turn your blueberry muffins into paleo lemon blueberry muffins, read to the end! I have an option for all of you lemon obsessed readers out there too! YUMM
Tips from my kitchen— Just a few insider tips on this recipe.
COCONUT FLOUR tends to make baked goods much more dense than typical flour which can be such a bummer when the goal is light fluffy warm muffins! I tend to error on the side of LESS than the called for amount to prevent this. For this recipe, try filling your measuring cup just shy of a cup and make sure you never pack your coconut flour. If you notice your flour is clumpy, break it up with a fork so you don’t add too much. This should keep your yummy treats nice and fluffy.
COCONUT OIL needs to be completed liquefied before adding it to any recipe. If you try to add it while still solidified you will find it clumpy in your muffins as well. Melt your coconut oil on the stove top or microwave. Coconut oil melts at such a low temperature that it will only take a second and your recipes will come out perfect every time!
Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
What you need:
- 1 cup of coconut flour (remember- barely a cup!)
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
- Optional – 1 Lemon for Lemon Zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon extract (if you are feeling FANCY)
- Optional – Crumb topping (walnuts, coconut flour, coconut sugar, and coconut oil)
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with baking cups or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together loosely filled cup of coconut flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together honey, coconut milk, melted coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract
- Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture.
- Gently fold in the rinsed, fresh blueberries
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let cool on wire baking rack to prevent further baking or browning
- Dig IN! YUMMM
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Option
If you want to try a dairy free LEMON blueberry muffin. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract into the wet ingredient bowl (during step 3!) Grab that lemon and zest about 4 tablespoons worth to your final mixture (during step 5!) You will end up with an awesome combo of tang and sweetness wrapped up in that baking cup.
Make sure you store any leftovers in the refrigerator to keep them nice and fresh.
Pour yourself a cup of tea, sit down and enjoy a muffin. You deserve it! While you are at it, go ahead and share this recipe to that big ole world of social media. Better yet, comment below on how your muffins turned out! I can’t wait to hear from you guys. ‘Til next time LOVElies!